Tuesday 6 November 2012

Using Technology in the Classroom



Barb gave us a choice of several webinettes to view and post our thoughts on line. I watched two: Apps in Action for Sensory Regulation and A Day in the Life of a Boy with Autism Using His iPad and iPod Touch in the Classroom. Both of the webinettes (my computer does not like this word) were prepared and presented by Barb and Lindsay Welsford. I have had some experience working with several of these apps but there seem to be new ones everyday. Thanks to Barb and Anita for keeping us up-to-date with the latest apps.  My task is to talk about how, as principal, I would help my staff use this technology in the learning areas to met outcomes. I am very fortunate to have a staff well versed in the use of iPads and apps. All teachers have their own school-purchased iPads and use them on a regular basis. After I took Barb's course last fall, I requested a half-day in-service with Barb for my staff to learn more about how we could intergrate iPods, iPads and apps into learning situations for all learners. We have also had the use of the Board's iPad cart for six weeks. Therefore, I feel that my staff have a high level of confidence using this technology.
Both of my Resource teachers have had lots of opportunities in searching out apps for students, as have most of my teachers and teachers-assistants. We have shared apps among ourselves, demonstrating how they can be used. The recommendations provided to us by Anita and Barb's assessments are invaluable. Webinettes which can be shared with staff and parents to demonstrate the potential and effectiveness of the the apps and technology.
I believe all of our students with autism have benefited from the apps demonstrated in these webinettes, including Pictello, First/Then, Pocket Pond, and Fluid 2. I am excited to see all the new (to me) apps which will help students in the areas of communication, scheduling, functional academics, functional skills, sensory regulation and transitions. Of course the benefit of these apps are not limited to students with learning difficulties. These apps, and others like them, are useful for all students. Keeping sending them out to us, Barb and Anita.

No comments:

Post a Comment